Wednesday August 27th 2014

RDP houses sold in contravention of Housing Act to be confiscated

Peter Luhanga

RDP houses in the province transferred to beneficiaries less than eight years ago, which have been sold by their owners, will be confiscated and given to the needy, says Housing MEC Bonginkosi Madikizela.

Location specific audits have revealed that in some cases, as in George, up to 90 percent of RDP houses have been sold by beneficiaries, and a visit by former housing MEC Richard Dyantyi in 2008 revealed that up to 60 percent of RDP houses in Du Noon had been sold or let.

But Madikizela said the Housing Act stipulated that the RDP housing beneficiaries were not allowed to sell their houses within an eight year period, and his department was to audit the 101 000 housing subsidies granted since 2002.

“The houses that are returned to the Department in terms of the pre-emptive right clause (in the Housing Act) will be reallocated by municipalities to qualifying people in terms of the relevant criteria,” said Madikizela.

“We will find a way that government reclaim the houses (RDP) and give them to the needy.”

But he said the magnitude of the problem had to first be determined.

To this end his department was busy drafting terms of reference to appoint a service provider to analyse the status of all state-funded housing projects.

He said the survey to be conducted by an appointed service provider would also establish how many title deeds still needed to be transferred to beneficiaries and, where title deeds had not been handed over, what the reasons for the delay were.

“It is anticipated that this survey of our projects will be concluded by the end of the financial year (31 March 2011). However, once we have some preliminary data from this study we will already be in a position to start to plot a way forward in dealing with this matter.”

In Du Noon residents were scared to speak about the sales and ownership of RDP houses, saying they feared being killed if they spoke out about what exactly was happening.

Community leader Madlomo Ndamane said the sale of RDP houses was “a hot business” in the township.

“Its a big problem.”

She said beneficiaries sold their house, and then once they had spent their money, tried to reclaim it.

She also said there were people who were approved RDP house beneficiaries, but never occupied their house, suggesting that money could have exchanged hands and other people were given the houses instead.

Meanwhile, the City has admitted that it was battling to issue title deeds to approved RDP housing

beneficiaries in the metro.

Land acquisition specialist in the city’s housing directorate, Marlize Odendal said in many cases the occupants of RDP houses were not the official beneficiaries, which made it difficult for the city to issue title deeds.

“It’s a general problem (issuing of title deeds) and its country wide,” said Odendal

A senior city official in the housing directorate, who did not want to be named as he was not sure he was allowed to speak to the press, said the process of issuing title deeds in Du Noon was suspended last year as city-contracted workers received death threats from residents.

Blaauwberg sub-council chair Heather Brenner confirmed that city efforts to investigate “approved beneficiaries” of RDP houses in Du Noon had been continuously disrupted by people who did not want the project to move forward.

Brenner said of about 1000 RDP houses in Du Noon, half of them had been investigated and were occupied by official beneficiaries, but the remainder were unknown and under suspicion because residents there had threatened city contractors.

“It’s been a very frustrating exercise, true beneficiaries have been waiting for ten years to get their title deeds. They deserve them.”

Odendal said similar problems had been experienced in Gugulethu and Langa. — West Cape News

RDP houses sold in contravention of Housing Act to be confiscated
Tags: blaauwberg, Du Noon, Gugulethu, langa, rdp

26 Responses to “RDP houses sold in contravention of Housing Act to be confiscated”

1. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW WHERE AND TO WHO I CAN SPEAK TO ABOUT A RDP HOUSE. IF YOU CAN HELP ME WITH A NUMBER I WILL APPRECIATE IT.

THANK YOU FOR TAKING TIME TO READ THIS MESSAGE.

2. priscilla. says:

hi i need help finding a home for me and my children before we get thrown out. thank you

3. BUSI says:

Mom married to another man and passed away,few years back.Im the only child she had,and I will like to change the tittle deed to my name.My step father stays somewhere in Emerlo and dont know where.I cant accupy the house peacefully because my aunt keeps on bringing tenants with rusty shacks in my yard without even consulting with me first.
    Please help me because wherever I go they say I must bring my stepfather with me and I dont know where he is.

4. KAREN says:

ITS DISGUSTING THIS GOVERNMENT CANT GET THERE ACT TOGETHER AND SUPPLY THEM WITH TITLE DEEDS. FOR GOODNESS SAKE THEY KNOW THE PERSON WHO OWNS IT, ITS ON COMPUTER . SO JUST GIVE IT.WHY WAIT 10YRS FOR GOODNESS SAKE.
    THE GOVT GAVE THEM THE HOUSE, SO WHY SHOULD THEY WAIT. WHO IS SITTING BEHIND THE COMPUTERS WHO DONT KNOW WHAT THEY DOING ?? THEY SHOULDNT BE THERE THEN.
    IN MOLWENI ,NEAR WATERFALL IN DURBAN , PEOPLE OWN HOUSES BUT DONT LIVE IN THEM. WHERE IS THE LAW IN THIS. THEN THEY WANT TO SELL THEM, WITH NO TITLE DEEDS. COME ON SA GOVT ,GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER

5. chris says:

my mother pass away,im looking for her title-deed.ID NUMBER.4610040385082.Margaret Mala.I’M her son Christopher Mala.Please help.

6. admin says:

Hi Chris.
    I suggest you make enquiries at the deeds office in Plein Street. It’s adjacent to Parliament in the CBD.

7. Felicia says:

Im looking for a house to buy in eerste river between R20000

please help

8. Hlengiwe says:

I would like to know which procedures to take if someone is selling me his rdp house because i want to buy it and i dont want to regret it later plz help

9. Mr L R Seema says:

We bought an RDP house for R25000 in Hammanskraal(Kanana) with an “agent”.He told us to deposit money into his trust account and he will give us the papers that proves we own the house.Its been a month now and the guy has not given us any prove and he’s ignoring our calls.This agent is robbing many people and something needs to done to stop him.Please help

10. Tomboxolo Twenty says:

Hi can you please help the community of Motherwell n.u.12b Ward54 ZoneD we are always told houses will be built&the money’s being signed true but it never happened only the house in new areas are being built with street&everything but they come after n.u12 please help.

11. Gladness says:

Hi im looking for RDP house to buy My mother in law past away so our father inlaw he want us to go out from the house and we have furtnitures or even to rent .Please help.With respect .

12. admin says:

I’m afraid we are not in the business of selling RDP houses. However, I know there are legitimate estate agents operating in the townships, I suggest you try them.
    Good luck.

13. Hi my dad passed away in 2004 not long before after he has moved to the rdp so he was living with a woman who he had a child with ,so now the woman has brought his whole family from eastern cape so I was wondering if its possible to get the tittle deed in my name or my sister and get rid of thi people pls help …

14. thomas says:

Hi I just want to know the procedure of buyin RDP house because someone need to sell it to me

15. Zet says:

My uncle is going back to KZN because he is very sick & wants to leave the house to me, his child doesn’t want the house because of the area we are in, she also has a house of her own. please assist what is the correct procedure to do this.

16. admin says:

Speak to your ward councillor. If you get no joy there approach the provincial Human Settlement offices

17. nkosana says:

Is it legall to sellor buy a RDP House ?

18. octah says:

What are the procedures if u have been granted 2 houses

19. tman says:

Hi my mom exchange with someone an Rdp house .how to exchange surnames nd id number on the rdp houses

20. Suzan says:

hi..i want to extend my moms kitchen and dining room a little. do i need to get a plan for that?if yes! how much does that cost? And where must i goto submit the plan. She is currently staying at Freedom Park in Devland Eldorado Park. Thanks in advance

21. Marry says:

Good day

I would like to know where I could find out if my granny’s house is out or not. She aplied for the house in 2004 and up until today she has not being given her house. We went there several times and we told that she is still on waiting list is this possible?

22. sandisiwe says:

I have a problem, we apply for a house title for a long time its about 3 years now the title has in come out yet. I`m not sure if its the lawyer or its were the title made.
    help me

23. cobla says:

I dnt sell RDP house but I can tranfer you to good hands whtspp 0723302064

24. Sharon says:

Hi can u pls help me my father had an RDP house after few years I heard that he sold it to someone else but when I go to municipal offices is still in his name, he is now staying on the street bcoz that lady to me that despite the name has changed or not she will stays and when I was investigating she bought from my alcholic father for only R2000,00 where can I go for help coz now she is threatining my father.

25. Margaret sandilands says:

my maid would like to build an extra 3 bedrooms on to her R.D.P. house for her adult boys and for when her grandchildren come to stay. I would like to buy a book on how to build these extensions according to south african standards. Also would one be able to turn a 3 roomed R.D.P. house into a double story there by saving on using up the ground around the house.In other words build up not out.
    I would like to make it easier for her as she is such a good person and deserves help (maybe others will see it getting done and follow suit. Thankyou Mrs Sandilands

26. sory.folangeje yaka rdp etswile extashen 10 ketreyes etswile gakaethola.kelikile goyako housing bambotsa maka ibile kelapile. batlile gonna bampha nothisi yagore keyatsamaya. kabayale proplem ya makgomreit bantwantsa.bare kethola pyang ntlo babang basaethole.kenale dipampiri tsayona.gakaereka kengwadisitse.kapasa yaka lebana baka.kesori gongwala ka Setswana gakarutega. kekopa thuso golona.mokennang ketshwenya ke mahotlo. pula gaena reema kamaoto.barereseke raaha.keyaleboga