News agency, Cape Town, South Africa
Tuesday October 17th 2017

Rape charges against ANC MP hinge on lost docket

Unless a missing docket containing information related to the rape charge against ANC Communication Portfolio Committee chairperson Sikhumbuzo Kholwane is found by April 4, the case may be struck off the court’s roll.

Kholwane, who is out on R500 bail after he was arrested on December 20, made his second court appearance at the Wynberg Magistrates’ Court last week Thursday where Magistrate Clive Erasmus warned the prosecution that he would withdraw the charges against the accused, should the docket not be brought to court at his next appearance.

Kholwane has not been suspended and the ANC would not divulge any information relating to case against him because “a court of law is dealing with the matter,” said ANC’s Parliamentary Caucus spokesperson Moloto Mothapo.

“No court of law has found him guilty.  He is not guilty and the principle that he is innocent until proven guilty must be respected,” said Mothapo.

Asked whether the ANC has taken any internal disciplinary measures against Kholwane since the rape charges against him, Mothapo said what happened internally within the ANC remained internal and no third parties would be involved.

The rape charges against Kholwane surfaced when a Cape Town woman accused Kholwane of raping her last year.

Kholwane was arrested on December 20 and was released the next day on R500 bail.

The 26-year-old complainant, who may not be named without her consent, alleged she was assaulted in December at a house belonging to the accused following a row between the couple over their relationship.

Police did not respond to questions as to why the docket had not been brought before the court.  - Sandiso Phaliso

Tags: ANC Communication Portfolio Committee chairperson, Clive Erasmus, Moloto Mothapo, Sikhumbuzo Kholwane, Wynberg Magistrates’ Court

Leave a Reply