Friday October 28th 2016

Both old SADF and MK veterans can receive state benefits

Military veterans have been urged come forward and register for government benefits before end of day today ( Friday June 17).

But they should remember to bring their force numbers, the South African Military Veterans Association (SAMVA) has said.

Government has set aside R1, 6 billion for the delivery of a “basket of benefits” to the veterans.

SAMVA provincial secretary Mike Masala said military veterans in the Cape Metro had until Friday to add their names to a database of beneficiaries.

The benefits are as a result of the Military Veterans Act defining a military veteran as a SA citizen who rendered military service to any of the military organisations involved on all sides of the South African liberation war between 1960 and 1994.

The Act, which was approved by Cabinet in 2010, stipulates benefits for such veterans.

He said the veterans included those who served in the old South African Defence Force (SADF), National Servicemen, the ANC’s Mkhonto we Sizwe and PAC’s Azanian People’s Liberation Army (Apla).

Masala said nationally there were 57 000 veterans already on the roll who should come forward for verification.

Since the registration process started last year, he said 3 500 veterans had registered in the province within a period of 14 days.

He could not say off the cuff how many veterans had registered since phase two of the registration process opened on May 28.

Friday is the last day of registration at Fort ikapa Military Base in Goodwood, he said.

He said government has set aside R1, 6 billion for veterans’ benefits which included medical care, education and pension money for those who qualify.

One of the veterans, Jimmy Xalipi, 52, who served under Apla in various countries such as Tanzania, Zimbabwe, Libya and Ethiopia said he was one of the first people to register when the programme was started.

Xalipi, who joined the war when he was 15 years old thanked “President (Jacob) Zuma and Mama (Lindiwe Sisulu) for helping us.

“Many of us are not working, some are sick and others have died. I say thank you for the government for trying to look after us.”

“It is us who brought freedom to this country. We sacrificed our lives to bring freedom to this country,” he said.

Xalipi said while he had his force number, many of his comrades did not have theirs as they were not integrated into the army after 1994. He was however optimistic that they would still benefit.

He said that those with force numbers, mostly those who served under the SADF were taking too long to come forward, delaying the rolling out of benefits. –Francis Hweshe

Tags: Fort ikapa Military Base, Jimmy Xalipi, Mike Masala, Military veterans, Military Veterans Act, SAMVA

230 Responses to “Both old SADF and MK veterans can receive state benefits”

1. Christo Coetzee says:

Hi its Christo Johan Coetzee, my cel 0748755725, According to your web my force number and id number dont correspedent with each other

2. O. Hoffman says:

Please provide latest update re reimbursement for SA Military veterans.

O. Hoffman

3. Please will you help me

4. R Burger says:

Good day

Can I still register for the SANDF benefit?

5. Adam Kay says:

I claimed many years ago, how do I follow up on this.
    Can anyone help
    We do we go or on which website do we go on?
    Please assist.

6. Jacques Labuschagne says:

Please send me the claim forms to complete. 86571510PE I was in the force from 1989 to 1999.

7. My father went to second world war we been trying to get my head around the whole thing of the compensation fund for second world war veterans my father past on my mother try to get the funding she past on now I’m the last born trying to get my head around the whole thing really need help with this what do I do where do I go I have all original documents of my late father and I believe that there is fund’s set aside by government please need help with this.

8. Louwrens says:

Good day, I was a soldier in Potch for 2 years, and I Filled a form in about 2 years ago and heard nothing from anyone. I serve my country in 1981 – 1982. Where can I query ? I’m in North west province .

9. Lukas van Wyk says:

Het het geregistreer in 2014 maar nog niks gehoor nie
    Mags no 66435967

10. roger wessels skt 86074242ck says:

I would like to apply for army benifeds do ido it at ikapa base its the first time that I hear from the benifeds

11. Pine says:

looks like a bullshit story as always

12. Neil Craig Lauder says:

Can someone pls advise where one can register?

13. Carel says:

kan jy my raad gee oor die eies is dit waar of nie

14. Derek Sullivan says:

I have registered a few years ago and have heard nothing. Is this process still being attended to.

15. Petrus Jacobus Cornelius jansen van Rensburg says:

I would like to know if I qualify for any funds that are payable to me. I served in the army until 1972 and would like to know what to do to claim my benefits

16. Petrus Jacobus Cornelius jansen van Rensburg says:

Please contact me regarding any unclaimed benefits. Cell phone 0739345254 (Sannie my wife will answer the phone or send email

17. HF Edwards says:

I sent in my details more than a year ago, nothing heard.

Joined 3 Dec 1964 as a Veldkornet SAIK. Served as a pilot for 3 years at 42 Army Air Recc Sqd, Potchefstroom.

Servive Nr 01556968E

18. J.P.J Jordaan says:

I have completed and sent in registration papers some years ago.

Never heard anything but believe we can qualify for some benifits invluding medical aid.

My Force Number 78561271BT- J.P.J Jordaan

Can you please let me know how to receive the medical card and any other benefit I may qualify for.

Kind Regards
    Jan Jordaan

19. Gerhard Rothman says:

My mags nommer is 74676400BG of 74676400BG. Ek wil asb aan sluit. Ek het geen medies nie!

20. clinton says:

I filled in forms about 4 years ago but still not a word!! Can someone explain.

21. Robert Taylor says:

Hi, would like to know about a surplus payout for old soldiers.
    i was in airforce 1972/73

22. Donovan isaacs says:

Hi I’ve also heard about the benefits I did my two years voluntary service in 1989 to 1991 I would like to know if the volunteers are also liable to get these benefits and if so were do we register if registration is still pending as I reside in johannesburg newlands thank you

23. Johannes says:

Hi I was in SADF in 1982/83 my number is 79333233 and my id number is 630729 5188 08 3 when was the registration and can i still register to qualify please

24. Desmond Patrick Roux says:

After four years what is the process to claim?

25. pedro says:

this is a big bullshit story, sorry to say. !!!!

26. Frikka says:

Good day,
    I filled in forms about 4 years ago at Oudtshoorn and prove of forms completed but nothing happened so far !

27. mike fischer says:

please advise how I submit a claim for benefits as a conscript of the Former SA National Defence Force having served in 1975

Mike Fischer

0827913204/ 0814573229

30. Dear Sir/Madam
    I did my National Service in 1982/84 and have just learnt I can claim an army pension. I would like to know how I can go about getting it as I am now living in the UK.
    Yours sincerely