News agency, Cape Town, South Africa
Thursday September 19th 2019

Row over placement of ‘Zwelitsha school’

Parents and children from Zwelitsha and Nkanini informal settlements protested against mobile classrooms meant to accomodate learners from Zwelitsha and Nkani being placed at the Ludwe Ngamlana Primary school in Kuyasa rather than being placed in Zwelitsha to form a new school. One child was hurt when oppossing Kuyasa parents threw stones at ex ANC PR councillor Andile Lili who led the march. Photo: Nombulelo Damba/WCN

Parents and children from Zwelitsha and Nkanini informal settlements protested against mobile classrooms meant to accomodate learners from Zwelitsha and Nkani being placed at the Ludwe Ngamlana Primary school in Kuyasa rather than being placed in Zwelitsha to form a new school. One child was hurt when oppossing Kuyasa parents threw stones at ex ANC PR councillor Andile Lili who led the march. Photo: Nombulelo Damba/WCN

06.05.2013

Parents from Zwelitsha and Nkanini informal settlements prevented school buses from taking children to Ludwe Ngamlana Primary school in Kuyasa on Monday in protest against there not being a school in their area of Khayelitsha.

The protest, which also extended to preventing children being transported to Jongo Primary in Khayelitsha C-Section, is the latest in a saga stretching back to the day schools opened in January this year.

A child was also injured after being hit by a rock thrown by an opposing group of parents who became incensed when expelled ANC PR councilor Andile Lili allegedly hurled verbal abuse at one of the opposing parents from Kuyasa outside Ludwe Ngamlana Primary.

After Nkanini and Zwelitsha parents, led by expelled ANC PR councilor Andile Lili protested for a primary school in their area in January, and then set up an informal school with volunteer teachers in a church, the Western Cape Education Department (WCED) set up seven mobile classrooms at the nearest school, Ludwe Ngamlana Primary.

Children from Nkanini and Zwelitsha were supposed to register their children their on May 2 but Nkanini and Zwelitsha parents insisted the mobile classrooms should be moved to their area and form a new, separate school.

According to the approximately 100 parents led by Lili, the agreement with the WCED was that the mobile classes were for a new Zwelitsha primary school and should be separated from Ludwe Ngamlana Primary school rather than simply being added on to the existing school.

Following last week’s protest, which saw opposing groups of parents from Zwelitsha and Kuyasa swearing and shouting at each other at Ludwe Ngamlana Primary in front of pupils, yesterday a group of about 100 parents, accompanied by children, prevented buses from transporting children to Ludwe Ngamlana and Jongo Primary schools.

The protesting parents said by preventing learners from Zwelitsha and Nkanini from attending classes, they could show the WCED how the schools were overflowing with children from these informal settlements and prove how desperately they needed their own school.

Melvyn Caroline, Director for the Metro East Education District said the mobile classes would remain at Ludwe Ngamlana primary where children from Zwelitsha and Nkanini would be accommodated. – Nombulelo Damba

 

No tags for this post.

Leave a Reply